Cherry Bourbon BBQ Sauce Recipe
3 tablespoons butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cups pitted Dark Sweet Cherries, halved or roughly quartered (1/4 cup separated)
1) In a pan, melt the butter until bubbling. Add chopped sweet onion and cook until soft (3-5 minutes). Next, add garlic until soft and butter begins to brown.
2) Add canned tomato sauce, salt, pepper, mustard powder, lemon juice. Integrate all ingredients. Bring to a full boil.
Add brown Sugar and thoroughly and return to a full boil.
3) Add cherries and maintain a full boil. Let the sauce cook at the rolling boil for 10 minutes, or until the cherries are fully softened in the sauce.
4) Using a potato masher, ensure the cherries are smashed. When cherries are smashed, add a handful of additional cherries in the sauce. These additional non-smashed cherries will create a chunky BBQ sauce.
5) Continue cooking at a rolling boil for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until thickened.
6) Add 1 and 1/4 shot of bourbon - optional. Cook an additional 5 minutes.